Fort Western Unit 183
Board Meeting Minutes
December 7, 2008

Present: Katye Kowierschke, Steve Shirey, Max Jackson, Mary Hoger, Kay Jones,
Carolyn Pinto, Tom Hughes, Margot Hirsch, Steve Shirey,
Diane Washabaugh (Guest)

Katye Kowierschke called the meeting to order at 8:25 p.m. She asked Diane Washabaugh, Relocation Chair, to report on the new location's progress. Diane indicated that the plumbing is installed and passed inspection. On Thursday morning, the concrete was poured. Diane said that the landlord assured her that the facility would be ready on time. Keys will be available on December 26, 2008 at the earliest.

Diane has bought the new dishes. The new landlord will review our present insurance policy to make certain it is acceptable.

Also, Diane showed the board a prototype for a new side table that would replace the cubes currently used. The board approved the purchase of fifty-six (56) new wooden, three-legged tables at $8.00 each. The price covers the cost of the materials. Bob Kennemer will make the tables. Max Jackson will assist. They are donating their labor and time.

Katye will contact the studio's current landlord to ensure that, if necessary, the move can be delayed without consequences. This delay would involve a few days at most.

Only the cabinet doors will be moved, not the frames. Katye will contact Andy Collins about building and installing new cabinets for the new location. She will email the board with the information.

Margot will send an email to the directors requesting that they empty and unlock their lockers no later than December 26, 2008. She will also notify them about the possible need to use a laptop for games during the move. Max has volunteered to provide any technical support the directors may need.

The board expressed its appreciation to Diane for all the work she is doing. She has spent a great deal of time and energy on the relocation. She will continue to do so to ensure a successful move.

The board approved Diane's request for a new Monday Day Game. Diane will own two day games, 0-300 and 0-1000, that will run concurrently. The board approved converting the Monday Night Game from a Unit-owned game into a director-owned one. Steve Shirey will own the Monday Night Game. Only the Wednesday Night Game will remain a Unit Game.

The board approved that the gift certificates awarded at next Wednesday's Unit Christmas Party Game may be used only at Wednesday Unit Games.

The Election of Officers for 2009 was held. The newly elected officers are:

President: Tom Nute

Vice President: Margot Hirsch

Secretary: Carolyn Pinto

Treasurer: Mary Hoger

The board expressed its appreciation to Katye Kowierschke for her service and leadership as Interim President after Byron Taylor resigned.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:30 p.m.

Respectfully submitted
Margot Hirsch

Board Meeting Minutes
November 19, 2008

Present: Katye Kowierschke, Mary Hoger, Kay Jones, Tom Hughes, Max Jackson,
Tom Nute, Steve Shirey, Margot Hirsch, Carolyn Pinto (Guest)

Katye Kowierschke called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m. Katye welcomed Carolyn Pinto as a guest. Margot Hirsch confirmed that the approved minutes were posted on the studio bulletin board and the Unit website.

Mary Hoger gave the Treasurer's Report. She confirmed that at $5,000 deposit was paid to secure the Wellington Square location. Also, she asked that the EasyBridge! financial report be revised to reflect that $108.00 was spent on books. In addition, Mary announced that the NLM Tournament lost money. She will submit the final report next month. The Treasurer's Report was approved.

Mary requested expenditures on behalf of Diane Washabaugh, Relocation Chair, for the new Wellington Square location. They are:
1. Fabric, batting, and cording for wall covers, plus for tablecloths and chair cushions. This was approved.
2. Two small particle board tables. This was approved.
3. Upgrade two bathroom and kitchen fixtures. We will buy paper towel dispensers. No general upgrades were approved. However, the board did approve the installation of a kitchen faucet and/or sprayer that will accommodate filling and cleaning the coffee pots.
4. Red, black, and white melamine platters and bowls for kitchen from Target. This was approved.
5. Artificial flower arrangement for Ladies Room. One or two artificial green plants for the playing area. This was not approved. Ask players to donate some artificial flowers or plants.
6. Stain and varnish for the director's table and computer table. This was approved.
7. New backing for game results boards. This was approved. Also, explore the possible purchase of new bulletin boards.
8. New kitchen towels from the Dollar Store. This was approved.
9. Purchase waste paper baskets for the restrooms.

Katye reported on the status of the letter to the studio's current location management. She has sent notification about the plan to move.

Kay Jones has talked to the other directors. In the new location, the studio will continue to provide cups, stirrers, and napkins. Also, plates and plastic ware will be provided for special occasions.

The board selected the Unit 183 Goodwill Recipients for the Year. The recipients will be recognized at Awards Night in the spring.

The board will remind the directors to promote the sale of gift certificates for holiday gifts. Katye will ask Diane Hoksbergen to make and post a sign advertising the certificates.

The Unit Christmas Party is scheduled for Wednesday, December 10, 2008.
Katye will prepare twelve door prizes. She will fill coffee cups with candy and a gift certificate. Kay will make and post signs to promote the party. A list of all studio Christmas parties will be posted on the bulletin board and website.

Max reported on moving plans. The tentative deadline for vacating the present location is December 31. The new location should be ready December 26. Max plans to set up tables in the new location before moving the tables from the current location. The objective is to keep all games open and operating during the move. Max also stated that only the cabinet doors and hardware will be moved. Directors should have their lockers emptied and unlocked no later than December 26.

The decision for moving or not moving the venetian blinds is pending. The white boards, cubes, and coat hooks will go to the new location.

Katye will write and distribute a letter about the move to all players. The letter will also be posted on the website. Katye will prepare a draft and send it via email to all board members for approval.

Margot passed out the draft of the revised Standing Rules. She thanked Kay and Mary for their help in proposing the revisions. Discussion and approval for the Standing Rules was tabled until the next meeting. Margot asked all board members to carefully review the draft to prepare for the approval process.

Max requested that only the winners be rewarded in the Unit's Wednesday Night Game. The board approved giving a free play to each winner.

There was discussion about how much rent to charge games with small table counts. The resolution of this matter was tabled until the January meeting.

The meeting was adjourned at 6:50 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Margot Hirsch

Special Board Meeting Minutes
October 20, 2008

Present: Steve Shirey, Katye Kowierschke, Kay Jones, Max Jackson, Tom Nute,
              Tom Hughes, Mary Hoger, Margot Hirsch, Guests: Diane Washabaugh,
              Dick Simon, Carolyn Pinto, Ken Quinton, Byron Taylor

Katye Kowierschke called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m. Regular business was suspended.

Diane Washabaugh, the Relocation Chair, related the recent history of interactions with Doug Woodson, John Grace, and herself. In summary, the contract is offered again using the original numbers. In addition, the owner gave permission to park the trailer. However, a city permit may be required.

Other points of discussion included that a ramp will be installed in back. The studio will have approximately twenty (20) more parking spaces. Diane will request that the spaces be designated with paint. The kitchen, bathrooms, and food service counter will have tile flooring. Dedicated outlets will be installed as requested.

The studio will pay for all utilities. The water bill will be prorated among all of the tenants. The studio must arrange for its own dumpster and waste management services. The dumpster and services may be shared with a neighbor. Also, the studio will provide its own janitorial services.

In addition, we will carry public liability insurance. This coverage provides for only players and others, not board or game directors.

The cabinets in the present location will be moved and reinstalled at the new one.

Dick Simon reported that he had reviewed the lease. He concluded that it appeared to be pretty standard. He recommended the purchase of liability insurance. Ken Quinton also reported that the lease looked like a standard one. The board thanked them for their service.

Leasing the new location will increase the studio's current expenses approximately $3,417.00 per month. The table count will have to equal approximately 457 tables per month to cover the increase. The number of tables is based on $15.00 rent per table.

The board voted to approve the lease for five (5) years. The monthly rent will be
$3, 250.00 for approximately 3,480 square feet. The Fort Worth Studio will move to its new location in Wellington Square at 6715 Camp Bowie Boulevard around the beginning of 2009. The exact date will be announced once the finish out is close to completion.

The board is grateful to Diane Washabaugh, her committee, and everyone who gave time and input in to the process of finding a new location. The process was challenging based on the studio's requirements and budget constraints.

The work to finalize the move will continue for the next couple of months. Many tasks will take place. In advance of the move, the board expresses appreciation to all those who will continue to contribute to a smooth, successful move.

Some beginning committee assignments include:

Move Coordinator: Max Jackson will work with Katye Kowierschke.

Katye Kowierschke will notify the present landlord about plans to vacate. Katye will talk to Andy Collins about the cabinets.

Mary Hoger will gather insurance information and bids. Mary will contact the Secretary of State in Texas, and the Tarrant County Tax Assessor Collector.

Utilities, Telephone and Computer, Waste Management, and Janitorial: Margot Hirsch, Tom Nute, Carolyn Pinto

Switchback for ramp: Max Jackson

Coca Cola Machine: Katye will ask Mel Bason to help.

Signage: Kay Jones will ask JoAnne Woodle to help her design a logo and sign for the landlord's approval.

Diane Washabaugh will obtain the floor plan for the lighting and outlets.

Katye, on behalf of the board, thanked everyone once more for their help, especially Diane.

The meeting was adjourned at 6:40 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Margot Hirsch

Special Board Meeting Minutes

Fort Western Unit 183
Board Meeting Minutes
October 15, 2008

Present: Tom Hughes, Max Jackson, Katye Kowierschke, Mary Hoger,
Steve Shirey, Kay Jones, Tom Nute, Carolyn Pinto (Guest)

Katye Kowierschke called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m. Kay Jones took minutes in Margot Hirsch's absence. The minutes from the September 17, 2008 and October 8, 2008 meetings are approved and posted. Mary Hoger presented the Treasurer's Report. It was approved.


The Wellington Square location was discussed. The board approved the move. The Negotiation Committee consists of Diane Washabaugh and Dick Simon.

The Board elected Kay Jones to finish out Byron Taylor's unexpired term through the end of 2009.

For the next two weeks, the Sunday Mentoring Games will be cancelled. Instead, the NAP qualifying games for Flights C and B will take place. The dates are: Flight C: October 19 and Flight B: October 26.

The December Meeting will take place on Sunday, December 7 at The Keg.


The Friday Evening Game was discussed. If the table count is five (5) or less, no cash prizes will be paid. If the table count equals more than five (5), each stratum winner will receive $1.00. Thus, if a pair wins A, B, and C, each player will receive $3.00. The decision concerning cash prizes for the Unit's Wednesday Evening Game was tabled.

The decision about purchasing new tables was tabled. The chairs will be moved to the new location. In the future, the board will determine whether or not to purchase additional chairs.

The meeting was adjourned.

Respectfully submitted,
Kay Jones and Margot Hirsch

October 8, 2008

Present: Mary Hoger, Katye Kowierschke, Max Jackson, Tom Hughes,
               Margot Hirsch, Steve Shirey, Tom Nute

Katye Kowierschke called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m. Regular business was dispensed.

The Board of Directors accepted Byron Taylor's resignation from the board with regret. The directors expressed gratitude for Byron's service to Unit 183, the Fort Worth Studio, and all of the players. His caring leadership, insights and wit will be missed.

Katye Kowierschke will serve as President until new officers are elected for next year. Katye had been Vice President and Hospitality Chair. She is knowledgeable about the Unit and all of the associated issues. The board anticipates a smooth transition.

The board agreed to table naming Byron Taylor's replacement to the board until the regularly scheduled meeting next week. The replacement will serve out Byron's unexpired term through 2009.

The proposal for Wellington Square was discussed. The owner has submitted a revised floor plan to the board. The new plan includes the front windows in the playing areas.
Also, a ramp will be installed at the back entrance. A place for the trailer is yet to be determined. The board would like for the walls to be removed from the directors' area.

Copies of the Relocation Committee's Report are now available at the Fort Worth Studio for review by the players. The decision about leasing the Wellington Square location is still pending. Katye will inform the location's owner that an answer will be forthcoming after the next regularly scheduled board meeting.

A candidate from the last election requested the results of the election. Katye, in keeping with the bylaws, informed the former candidate about the results.

Steve Shirey reported that Jay Jay's will cater the NLM Tournament. This tournament will take place November 1-2, 2008 at the Arlington Studio.

Margot Hirsch requested that containing costs for the board's annual Christmas Meeting be put on the agenda for the next regular board meeting.

The meeting was adjourned at 6:05 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Margot Hirsch


Fort Western Unit 183
Minutes of Special Board Meeting
September 7, 2008

Present: Mary Hoger, Tom Nute, Tom Hughes, Katye Kowierschke, Max Jackson,
Byron Taylor, Kay Jones, Steve Shirey, Margot Hirsch,
Diane Washabaugh (Relocation Committee Chair)

Byron Taylor, the President, called the meeting to order at 3:00 p.m. The purpose of the meeting was to consider the report of the Relocation Committee. Diane Washabaugh presented the report on behalf of the committee.

Diane confirmed that the Fort Worth Studio’s lease will not be renewed. She described the history of searching for a new location. The search is for approximately 3200 square feet with adequate parking and reasonable rent. The other financial requirements such as utilities must also be reasonable. The search has resulted in one recommended location.

This location is two suites (6715 and 6717) in the Wellington Square Shopping Center at 6715 Camp Bowie Blvd. Under negotiation is a proposed finish out allowance of $110,000 and all other lease terms.

Upon completion of Diane’s presentation, the board approved a player fee increase and raised the directors’ rent. Effective October 1, 2008, the player entry fee will be $7.00 per game. The directors’ rent will be $15.00 per table per game.

The meeting was adjourned at 4:30 p.m.

After the meeting, the board took a field trip to meet the location’s representatives and tour the site. The board agreed to take no action until its regularly scheduled meeting on Wednesday, September 17.

Respectfully submitted,
Margot Hirsch

Fort Western Unit 183
Board Meeting Minutes
August 20, 2008

Present: Mary Hoger, Katye Kowierschke, Tom Nute, Tom Hughes, Kay Jones,
Byron Taylor, Steve Shirey, Max Jackson, Margot Hirsch,
Fran Fuller (guest), Grady Fuller (guest)

Byron Taylor called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m. Margot Hirsch confirmed that the approved July minutes were posted on the Fort Worth Studio’s bulletin board and the Unit 183 website. Mary Hoger presented the Treasurer’s Report. It was approved. Mary will present the EasyBridge! Financial Report at the next meeting.

Tom Nute reported on EasyBridge! Twelve to sixteen players are participating in the Tuesday evening game. On September 6, a short class will be held on No Trump Responses.

Katye Kowierschke reported on replacing the broken coffee pots. Wal-Mart refunded the total amount for the four pots. She and Max Jackson showed two models of coffee pots recommended for purchase. The board approved replacing the four returned pots with four of the less expensive model. Each pot will cost $135.98. The board also approved the purchase of a power strip and one timer.

Tom Nute reported on the Unit 183 Directory. Changes have been submitted and the directory has been revised. The second edition of the directory will go to press soon.

The agenda was temporarily suspended so that Grady Fuller could address the board.
He requested that The Alert be reinstated by the board as a Unit 183-sponsored publication. He stated the advantages for doing so. Presently, he is publishing The Alert and covering the cost on a volunteer basis. The board expressed appreciation for his contribution. Byron stated that the board would consider Grady’s request and notify him quickly about the board’s decision.

The Fall Sectional will take place September 19-21, 2008 in the Amon Carter Exhibit Hall. Kay Jones secured the sanction and confirmed the directors. Katye is arranging for the hospitality. She and Keith will provide the coffee supplies. Millie Williams will get the snacks. Diane Hoksbergen is in charge of decorations. Byron will check with Arlington about borrowing bidding boxes. Margot is taking care of partnership requests. Tom Hughes has all of the events scheduled. Byron is arranging for the caddies.
The Non-Life Master Tournament is scheduled for November 1-2, 2008 at the Arlington Studio. Steve Shirey reported that Doris Doores is the Partnership Chair. Also, a caterer is being identified. Steve will order tournament hand records.

Katye is going to shop for new card tables. She will take measurements. The preferred color choice is black. New side tables will be purchased after the move.

Byron requested ACBL Goodwill Member of the Year nominations. He has received one and is expecting another. The board will choose the nominee to submit to ACBL.

Margot will hold a meeting of the Standing Rules Committee after the Fall Sectional and report back to the board.

Mary Hoger gave the Nominating Committee Report. The eight nominees are:
Grady Fuller Joe Harbour
Michael Heyman Carolyn Pinto
Steve Shirey Gary Wright
Shawn McCormick Margot Hirsch

Those players that are current ACBL members may vote for three candidates only. Absentee ballots must be signed by the voter and postmarked by September 15, 2008. In person voting will end at the start of the first session of the Fall Sectional on
Sunday, September 21, 2008.

Tom Hughes will assemble and copy the Election newsletter containing the ballot immediately. A group of volunteers will assemble as soon as possible after that to prepare the newsletters for mailing.

Tom Nute reported on the Election Committee. Kay Jones was added to the committee. His committee will count the ballots to determine the new board members.

Max Jackson is working to find a new place to park the trailer when it is not in use. The board agreed that permission to park the trailer at a new location must be part of the new lease.

The board discussed reinstating The Alert. The board concluded that it stands by its decision not to continue The Alert.

The board approved a new unit game format. An Eight is Enough game will be held the first Wednesday of the month beginning Wednesday, October 1, 2008.

The board expressed sympathy to Karla Peck and her family for the loss of her son, Bryan Peck and to the families and friends of Glenn West and Bill Lawless.

The meeting was adjourned at 6:50 p.m.
Respectfully submitted,
Margot Hirsch


Fort Western Unit 183
Board Meeting Minutes
July 16, 2008

Present: Katye Kowierschke, Tom Nute, Max Jackson, Byron Taylor, Kay Jones,
              Steve Shirey, Mary Hoger, Margot Hirsch

Byron Taylor called the meeting to order at 5: 30 p.m. Margot Hirsch confirmed that the approved June minutes were posted. Mary Hoger gave the Treasurer's Report. The June Sectional made $728.80. The report was approved. At the next meeting, Mary will present the EasyBridge! Financial Report.


Tom Nute said that three full tables played EasyBridge! this week. He anticipates four full tables will play in the fall. All Volume 2 books have been sold.

Katye Kowierschke reported on the coffee pots at a restaurant supply store. The board approved the purchase of two 55-cup pots at $136.00 each. Katye and Max will purchase the pots.

The Directory Committee will meet on August 1. The changes will be incorporated for the second printing of the directory. The board approved ordering a minimum number of copies online. Tom Nute will place the order. July 31, 2008 is the deadline for submitting directory changes.

Kay Jones reported that September 19-21. 2008 are the tentative dates for the Fort Western Fall Sectional. It will be held at Will Rogers.

Other important upcoming events and dates:

Fort Western June Sectional: June 5-7, 2009
Fort Western Regional: September 2-7 at the new Omni Hotel
Fort Western Fall Sectional: 2009 dates are pending.

Katye will explore lowering the cost of the meal for the 2008 Fall Sectional.
The playing schedule will remain the same except for a new 0-20 Game on Saturday afternoon. Players will play free.

Steve Shirey reported on the NLM Tournament scheduled for November 1-2, 2008 at the Arlington Studio. A caterer and a partnership chair will be identified. The sanction is approved. Steve Shirey, Darlene Shirey, and Max Jackson are the game directors.


Byron encouraged board members to submit nominations for the ACBL Goodwill Member of the Year.

Margot passed out copies of the current Standing Rules. All board members will review and submit input. After the Fall Sectional Margot will convene a committee to further review and recommend changes to the Standing Rules. Margot's committee will consist of Kay Jones, Katye Kowierschke, and Mary Hoger. Meanwhile, Margot will spell check and revise the grammar of the document. She will not revise any content.

Mary Hoger will chair the Nominating Committee. Her committee members are: Janet Jordan, Diane Dillman, Max Jackson, Shawn McCormick, and Mary Jane Orock. Margot will prepare and send out the Unit 183 Election Notice calling for nominations.

Tom Nute will chair the Election Committee. His committee will include, but not be limited to, Caron Peck, Mary Lou Collins, and Katye Kowierschke. Byron will ask Henry Weltman if he would like to serve on the committee once more.

Since the trailer may no longer be stored at LMRA, a new location is needed. Max will investigate to determine a new location for parking the trailer when not in use. Also, more research is needed for side tables.

On August 13, 2008, at the Wednesday Night Game., Mary Jane Orock's current and former students will honor her. They will serve as the hosts and hostesses for that evening's game. The Unit will contribute only its usual budget for that game. Everything else provided will be a gift to Mary Jane from her students.

Please submit all needs for Sunshine to Janet Jordan. The board sends its sympathy to the family and friends of Peggy McClung. The board was pleased to learn that Bill Hoksbergen is improving after a long illness.

The board discussed The Alert. After much discussion, the board approved to cease publishing The Alert immediately. Byron will talk with Grady Fuller.

Margot passed out a format to use with committee work. The board will review the form and discuss at the next meeting.

The meeting was adjourned at 6:45 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Margot Hirsch

June 18, 2008

Present: Mary Hoger, Katye Kowierschke, Tom Hughes, Byron Taylor,
              Steve Shirey, Max Jackson, Margot Hirsch

Byron Taylor called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m. Margot Hirsch confirmed that the approved May minutes were posted at the studio and on the website. Mary Hoger presented the Treasurer's Report. It was approved. She will present the final June Tournament Report at the next meeting. Byron expressed the Board's appreciation for Laura Nash's contribution based on her convention cardholder sales at the tournament.


Byron reported on EasyBridge! in Tom Nute's absence. EasyBridge! has been averaging  five tables. The game has moved to Tuesday evening. Attendance consisted of five people last Tuesday evening. Byron will talk with Lauren Brown and request that she file for marketing costs reimbursement from ACBL.

The recent Sectional was reviewed. Two coffeepots were broken. Katye will purchase two new pots that are different from those originally purchased. Coffee service will be continuous at future tournaments. Diane Hoksbergen and all who helped her were congratulated on providing superb decorations. At the next tournament, a separate 0-20 section will be listed in the schedule and offered as a free game

Unit 183 has no control over what other groups are scheduled on the same weekends that the bridge tournaments are held. Byron will ask Kay Jones to talk to the officials at Amon Carter about regulating the Gun Show participants and their guns.

Directory sales have been excellent. There may be another printing. Players need to review their listings and submit any needed corrections as soon as possible.

Fuel costs for handling the trailer were reimbursed as voted on by the board last month.

STaC Games will take place June 23-29.

The Fall Sectional is scheduled for October 10-12 at a catering facility on University Drive in Fort Worth. The change of location will be emphasized in the flier. Kay Jones is taking care of the sanction. Katye will work on the catering. Tom Hughes will work on the events. Players will be asked how to increase attendance at all events.

Steve reported on the upcoming NLM Tournament to be held in Arlington on November 1- 2, 2008. Steve is taking care of the sanction.


Byron asked the board to think of Goodwill Member of the Year nominations.

Margot will update the Standing Rules and provide copies to each board member at the next meeting.

Diane Washabaugh has volunteered to open an account for Unit 183 at the Dallas Market Center. It will cost the Unit nothing and provide the Unit savings on purchases such as card tables. Also, Diane has proposed publishing and selling a new cookbook to raise funds for the Unit. Byron will discuss this idea further with her and report back to the board.

Keith McCall will no longer purchase all of the supplies for the Fort Worth Bridge Studio. He will continue to purchase only Bridge supplies. The board appreciates all of the service Keith has provided and continues to provide. Millie Williams has agreed to take over the responsibility of shopping for studio supplies. Diane Washabaugh will help her. Byron and Mary will check on cards and signatures needed for Sam's.

All Bridge supplies will be kept locked. However, each director must have ready access to the supplies. A key will be available to each director.

The Board discussed copier usage. The Board approved that copies may be made on the studio copier for only studio or Unit 183 business.

Also, The Alert was discussed. Byron will decide with Grady how many copies actually need to be printed.

Mike Goldman has offered the Unit thirty-nine frames for a $20.00 donation to a charity recommended by Mike. The board accepted Mike's offer.

The board sends its best wishes for a speedy recovery to Bill Hoksbergen, Kay Jones, Jim Chaffee, and Bob Ellison.

The meeting was adjourned at 6:35 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Margot Hirsch


May 21, 2008

Present: Mary Hoger, Tom Hughes, Kay Jones, Tom Nute, Max Jackson, Byron Taylor,
Katye Kowierschke, Steve Shirey, Margot Hirsch

Byron Taylor, the President, called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m. Margot Hirsch confirmed that the approved April minutes were posted. Mary Hoger presented the Treasurer's Report. She alerted the board that withdrawing from the money market will be required soon if the revenue does not increase. The expenses exceeded income for the Awards Night Game. The annual insurance premium was paid. The report was approved.


Tom Nute reported that the new directory draft is ready to send to the printer. He recommended using an online printing service. The cost is more reasonable, the quality is good, and the shipping fee is less than $10.00. He will secure the vendor's assurance that the directory will not be sold as a mailing list to anyone. The deadline for beginning to sell the directory is the June Tournament.

Tom Nute reported on EasyBridge! About 5.5 tables played last Saturday. Tuesday night classes/workshops are running 2-3 tables. The 0-20 Game has been held separately once so far.

The GNT Flight C had 6 teams and GNT Flight B had 14 teams play to qualify for the District 16 Qualifying Games according to Steve Shirey. Steve also announced the North American Pairs Unit 183 Qualifiers will take place September 28 and
October 26. Lockheed may not be available as a playing site. Arlington is a possibility.
The Pro Am Game was a success. The Co-chairs, Byron Taylor and Diane Washabaugh, did a great job. However, if players need to cancel after having signed up, they will be encouraged to notify the studio in advance of the game.

The upcoming Fort Worth Sectional was discussed. In the future, the city of Fort Worth will appear on all the schedules and promotional documents. Byron stated that all of the caddies are confirmed except for one. Katye announced that all the details are set with Pulido's. Millie Williams will provide the snacks and candy. The trophies and $2.00 bills are ready. Mary will take care of the free plays.

The STaC games will occur June 23-29.


Steve proposed that the Non-Life Master Tournament occur November 1-2, 2008 in Arlington at the Arlington Studio. He will work with Chuck Burke. The caterer may change.
Page 2. FWUmin05.21.08

Byron provided some feedback on committees. On behalf of the board, he thanked Jerry Gladysz for his marketing contribution. Jerry is beginning some new client projects and will no longer be available to chair the Marketing Committee. A new chair is needed.

The board approved the purchase of a new, cosmetically imperfect refrigerator. Margot will shop for the appliance.

The board did not approve the purchase of a new bookcase.
Issues of Bridge World will be displayed on a card table. Players are encouraged to sign out, read, and return all issues so that many players may enjoy the publications.

The board approved a fuel reimbursement fee due to the high cost of gasoline. The driver of the Unit's trailer will be reimbursed at the rate of $1.00 per mile. The driver will present the beginning and ending odometer reading for each trip to the Treasurer. Also, other clubs that benefit from the use of the trailer including, but not limited to, Dallas and Arlington will also be charged this reimbursement fee to reimburse the driver.

The procuring of supplies for the Fort Worth Studio was discussed and tabled for the next meeting.

The Wednesday Night Irving Game is temporarily not being held. After discussion about giving a free play, it was decided that Byron will write a note to each regular Irving player inviting him or her to join the Wednesday Night Game in Fort Worth.

Byron reminded the board to notify Janet Jordan about all sunshine needs.

The gift certificate draft was discussed. The board agreed to reduce the size of the certificate and sequentially number each one. The vote on adding an expiration date was tabled.

The meeting was adjourned at 6:45 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Margot Hirsch


April 16, 2008

Present: Kay Jones, Byron Taylor, Mary Hoger, Tom Nute, Max Jackson,
              Katye Kowierschke

Byron Taylor, the President, called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m. Kay Jones, in Margot Hirsch's absence, indicated that the approved minutes were posted on the studio bulletin board and the website. Kay also took the meeting minutes. Mary Hoger presented the Treasurer's Report. It was approved as read.


The board approved deferring an upgraded internet connection until the studio has relocated.

Tom Hughes will consolidate the correction lists for the new directory.

The total of Easybridge! participants has dropped from about seventy (70) to around thirty-five (35). The classes meet on Saturdays at 9:30 a.m. The group can play a 0-20 game on Monday mornings or Tuesday evenings. Tuesday evenings could include a workshop.

The GNT Flight B is Sunday, May 4.

The StaC Games will take place during the week of June 23-29.

For future Awards Night Games and the upcoming Pro Am Game, free plays and mugs will be given rather than door prizes.

Byron reminded everyone to notify Janet about all sunshine needs.


Byron will design gift certificates. Players want to purchase them for gifts.

The unit received a check in memory of Joe Bruce Cunningham. Byron, on behalf of the board and the unit, will send a note of gratitude. The board tabled how to use the gift.

Jerry Gladysz was unable to attend the meeting. The meeting was adjourned at 6:40 p.m.

March 19, 2008

Present: Byron Taylor, Katye Kowierschke, Steve Shirey, Kay Jones, Max Jackson,
Tom Hughes, Mary Hoger, Margot Hirsch

Byron Taylor, the President, called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m. Margot Hirsch presented a draft of the minutes from the February Board Meeting. The draft was approved as written. The minutes will be posted at the studio and on the website.
Mary Hoger presented the Treasurer's Report. It was reviewed and approved.


Tom Nute will present an update on the dedicated computer line at the April meeting.

Tom Hughes reported on the new directory. Typing and editing are progressing. The directory will go on sale at the June Sectional Tournament for $4.00 per copy.

Byron reported on Easybridge! in Tom Nute's absence. Seventy participants attended the first session and at least sixty-four attended the second session. The schedule is being studied to find a game time for the Easybridge! players.

Byron reviewed significant upcoming events and dates:

Grand National Teams: Flt. C: March 30 and Flt. B: May 4
These events will take place at the Fort Worth Studio. Pizza will be served.
Awards Night: April 2, 6:00 p.m.: Snacks, 6:30 p.m.: Awards Ceremony,
7:00 p.m. Game Katye is in charge of hospitality and door prizes. New Life Masters will be recognized.
Heart of the Metroplex Sectional: April 4-6, Grapevine Convention Center
Pro Am Game: May 7, Fort Worth Studio
Players are encouraged to sign up.
Fort Worth Sectional: June 6-8
StaC Games: June 23-29

Byron led the discussion about the Memo to Unit 183 Directors. He will revise the memo as necessary, incorporating the board's input for approval.


Byron will send out the letters for Awards Night. Margot will help contact individuals to encourage them to attend Awards Night.

Tom Hughes will send out the tournament announcement by this Friday night. Byron will ask Mel Bason to get the two-dollar bills for tournament prizes. Lauren Brown will obtain the other prizes. Millie Williams will shop for the snacks and candy. Katye will get the section markers and balloons. Byron will talk to Jerry Gladysz about making and installing tournament signs for publicity in all of the studios. Byron is arranging for caddies. Margot will do partnerships.

The lecturers at the Sectional will each receive $50.00. Mary Hoger will take care of the free plays.

The board congratulated Darlene Shirey. She was named a District 16 Texas Star at the recent Houston Regional. Darlene has generously given much service and time to Unit 183 and the Fort Worth Studio.

Janet Jordan is Sunshine Committee Chair. Byron will send all board members her email address. If a board member learns about a player's need for sunshine due to illness or loss, the board member will contact Janet as soon as possible.


Margot will resend her email that contained thoughts and ideas that were feedback to the Publicity Paper. At the April Board Meeting, the relocation will be discussed.

The meeting was adjourned at 6:35 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Margot Hirsch

February 27, 2008

Present: Tom Nute, Katye Kowierschke, Kay Jones, Tom Hughes, Byron Taylor,
Mary Hoger, Max Jackson, Margot Hirsch

Byron Taylor, the President, called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m. Margot Hirsch confirmed that the approved minutes were posted in the studio and on the website. Mary Hoger gave the Treasurer's Report. She moved $7000 from the savings account to the money market. Also, the money market includes $4475 in interest. The report was approved.

Margot checked again recently with AT&T to order a dedicated computer line. No high-speed internet is available in the studio's immediate area. Tom Nute will research other options and report to the board.

Work continues on preparing a new directory. The deadline for new listings and corrections to existing listings is February 29, 2008. Laura Nash will prepare a draft for the board's review after that date.

Plans for Easybridge! are progressing nicely. Lauren Brown and Diane Washabaugh are certified instructors. Penny Mixon and Tom Nute will assist them in delivering the program. The program is being widely publicized and will begin Saturday, March 10, at 10:00 a.m. at the Fort Worth Studio.

The board was pleased that the annual audit was successful. Mary Hoger does a great job balancing the books. The audit committee consisted of Tom Hughes, Chair, Dave Pollard, and Tom Nute.

Byron reported on the Green New Year feedback. The studio will continue using plates and plastic ware. However, the studio will begin a formal recycling program. Steve Shirey will provide a container for recycling aluminum cans. Max Jackson will obtain a container for recycling paper. Steve is in charge of the recycling. Byron will ask Grady to publish an announcement to explain the recycling effort.

Significant Dates:
Grand National Teams: Flight C: March 30, 2008 Flight B: May 4, 2008
Awards Night: April 2, 2008
Heart of the Metroplex Sectional: April 4-6, 2008
Pro Am Game: May 7, 2008
Fort Worth Sectional: June 6-8, 2008
StaC Games: June 23-29, 2008
Fort Worth Fall Sectional: October 10-12, 2008

Margot will send out a Unit 183 request immediately for volunteers that can be recognized at Awards Night. Byron will choose the Goodwill honorees.
Max Jackson will work with the Arlington Club to deliver tables and bidding boxes.
Byron asked for feedback about the draft for the Pro Am Game.

Tom reported on the Fort Worth Sectional. The tournament fees will be $11.00 for ACBL members and $12.00 for non-ACBL members. The Swiss Team fee will be $96.00 and include a meal catered by Pulido's. A free 0-20 Game will take place on Saturday afternoon. Tom will email the board a rough draft of the schedule. All evening games will begin at 7:30 p.m.

Kay Jones reported on the upcoming Fall Sectional. It will take place at BJ's Catering on University Dr. since Will Rogers is not available. There is ample free parking at BJ's Catering. Kay will ask the Omni Hotel for a bid for the 2009 Regional Tournament.

Progress concerning Zero Tolerance was discussed. The board encourages players to call the director immediately when unacceptable behavior is taking place. Unacceptable behavior may occur between partners and/or opponents. The director may be in another room when the infraction occurs and may only become aware of an uncomfortable situation if a player calls. The board wants the studio to be comfortable for all players whether they have been playing for years or are participating in their first game.

All directors are expected to remind players at the beginning of each game about the cell phone policy and the zero tolerance policy.

Byron asked the board to review the Directors' Memo (3 November 2005) and give him feedback. All directors must make sure that all areas of the studio are clean after each of their games. This includes sweeping and vacuuming the floors as needed. Also, the coffee pots must be cleaned thoroughly.
Also, Byron wants the board to provide feedback concerning publicity plans.

Diane Washabaugh is chairing the Relocation Committee. Jeri Quinton and Dave Pollard will serve on the committee. Shawn McCormick will chair the Mentoring Program.
Janet Jordan, the Sunshine Committee Chair, should be notified when a player is ill or a loss has occurred.

The board approved purchasing a shelf for the microwave oven. Max will install the shelf above the ice machine.

The meeting was adjourned at 6:55 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Margot Hirsch
January 16, 2008

Present: Max Jackson, Tom Hughes, Tom Nute, Byron Taylor, Mary Hoger,
Katye Kowierschke, Steve Shirey, Margot Hirsch, Laura Nash (guest),
Sonja Fair (guest)

Byron Taylor called the meeting to order at 5:30 p.m. Margot Hirsch presented the December minutes that were approved as written. Mary Hoger presented the Treasurer's Report for November and December. The Omni CD matured in December. Mary is renewing it at Washington Mutual at 5.1% for seven months. She will put approximately $13,000 in the money market. She and Byron will be on the signature card for the checking account. Mary's report was approved.


Margot reported that AT&T is researching how soon a high-speed internet line can be installed at the studio. She will inform the board once she receives the information.

Awards Night will take place on April 2, 2008. Mary will order the Mini-McKinney medallions.
The Pro Am Game will take place on May 7, 2008.
The 2008 STAC Week is June 23-29.

All directors are expected to remind players about the studio's Zero Tolerance Policy and Cell Phone Policy at the beginning of each game.


Laura Nash is chairing the 2008 Directory Committee. She is putting a system in place that will enable all Unit 183 players to keep the directory current. Margot will begin sending the ACBL In/Out Report to Laura for updates. Laura and the board are asking all directors to assist in gathering correct, current Unit 183 player information for the new directory. Also, Laura and her committee will update the names and dates of all Unit 183 games. All updates are due no later than February 29, 2008.

Sonja Fair proposed that the studio engage in a Green New Year. Specifically, Soni suggested that the studio use paper plates and plastic forks only on special occasions. Most of the time finger foods could be served. Over time the studio would save money and be more environmentally friendly. Also, the suggestion was made that cans be collected and recycled more systematically. Byron will discuss these suggestions with the directors and report back to the board.

Penny Mixon and Lauren Brown will begin teaching Easy Bridge! on March 8, 2008. Diane Washabaugh will assist them. Byron will check on the status of the instructors' certification.

Byron led the discussion about committee chair assignments.
Katye Kowierschke is in charge of door prizes for special studio games. Byron will ask Lauren Brown to chair the Prize Committee for tournaments. Max Jackson will be listed as Chair of Photography and the Trailer. Margot will chair Partnerships.

Additional assignments are:

Relocation: Diane Washabaugh
Decorating: Diane Hoksbergen
Housekeeping: Judy Staser
Help is needed for keeping the stock room and cabinets orderly and clean. Mary Hoger will have the carpet cleaned during the June Tournament. Byron will clean the windows and wants some assistance.
Facilities: Kay Jones
Kay will take care of the kitchen sink restrictions. Katye will help with the outside lights.

Byron will ask Grady Fuller and Stewart DeJournett to routinely post The Alert on the website.

Tom Hughes will chair the Audit Committee. The committee's report is due at the next Board Meeting.

The board sends its sympathy to Ted Webb's family. Also, the board sends its sympathy to Liz Hutchison for the recent loss of her son. Margot will contact Janet Jordan. The Sunshine Committee Report will become a standing agenda item, effective the next meeting.

The meeting was adjourned at 6:45 p.m.

Respectfully submitted,
Margot Hirsch