Dallas: Dan Morse's Report
of the Spring Nationals - March 2006
What a pleasure to have a tournament under one roof. The playing space was great - never had to go outside. Some play was on the first floor and other events were down the escalator to the bigger rooms. The table count was 10,319 - close to the number projected.
Gerry Owens and her staff of volunteers did a wonderful job. The late night food was plentiful and very good. The Dallas Unit is to be congratulated.
- SUMMER NABC
- Playing at the NABC's can be the best place to pick up masterpoints, plus having a good time. Meet new friends, learn new plays, and meet the "pros." The Summer NABC will be in Chicago and if any of you are considering attending, you should make your hotel reservations soon as there will be other conventions in the city at the same time and rooms are becoming tight.
- AARP AND THE ACBL
- AARP and the ACBL are forming an alliance to co-market a bridge event at the Alexandria, Phoenix, Seattle, and Atlanta Regionals, plus the Chicago NABC. These events will be open to AARP members with fewer than 5 masterpoints. The winners of these events will qualify for another event at the AARP National Convention. We are hoping they will also have free bridge lessons for members who would like to learn to play bridge, but this has not yet been worked out. I think this alliance will be a win-win situation for both organizations.
- GOODWILL COMMITTEE MEMBER OF THE YEAR
- District 16 is proud to have one of our own, Cisse Horton of San Antonio, chosen as the Goodwill Committee Member of the Year. Congratulations, Cisse! Ailene Osofsky and Roxana Tom praised Cisse for her years of service to the San Antonio Unit and District 16. Aileen Osofsky, Chairwoman of the ACBL Goodwill Committee, honored our District President, Dewitt Hudson, for the work he has done in our District.
- ACBL CHARITY FOUNDATION
- District 16 was given $20,000.00 by the ACBL Charity Foundation to be donated to local Texas charities of our choice in 2006. In Dallas it was announced by Marsha Bernstein (a National Charity Foundation Trustee from Texas) that $4,000.00 would be given to five charities: Volunteer Services Council for Lubbock State Schools; Midland Rape Crisis and Children's Advocacy Center; Habit for Humanity International; South Plains Food Bank; and Star of Hope.
- BRIDGE LESSONS IN SCHOOLS
- Congratulations to Houston for receiving a portion of the Gates-Buffett money donated for bridge lessons in schools. The Kipp Charter School added bridge to its school in Houston and over 100 middle-school children and 50 senior high students have received lessons so far. I encourage every city to try to get bridge lessons into any school they can. Mr. Buffett and Mr. Gates donated one million dollars for this program. We sincerely thank them for this gift to promote bridge in schools.
- UNIT IN GOOD STANDING
- The definition of a "unit in good standing" was defined and will be available on the web site under units and districts soon.
- UNIT BY-LAWS
- Units - it's good to go over your by-laws and if you have any questions you can send a copy to the ACBL attention Jim Miller, and he will review them for you.
- MASTERPOINT COMMITTEE
- Every five years the Board goes over masterpoint awards - now is the time. So if you have any suggestions about changes in the present masterpoint awards, you can send your suggestions to BOD@acbl.org and write "attention Masterpoint Committee."
- The Board was shown a product being used in Europe and the WBF called Bridgemate. This device is wireless and transmits the scores from each table to a computer after each hand is played. The result is then ready after the last board is played. Players going to the open World Championships in Verona (Italy) will get a chance to try out these Bridgemate devices. They are a little pricey but definitely have advantages over the current system.
- AMNESTY PROGRAM
- The ACBL is currently offering a 6-month amnesty program that runs thru June 30, 2006. If someone you know has not paid their dues or service fees, they can get credit for any masterpoints won if they renew during this period.
- ACBL DISCIPLINARY REGULATIONS
- Changes to the ACBL Disciplinary Regulations were approved. You can review or download the changes from the ACBL website, if interested.
- ACBL ELECTION REGULATIONS
- A rewrite of the ACBL election regulations was approved, effective this year. A copy is available from Memphis, if interested.
- 5-YEAR STRATEGIC PLAN
- The Board reviewed and updated the 5-Year Strategic Plan.
- COMMITTEES ON WHICH DAN MORSE SERVES
- This year I am Chairman of the Governance Committee, on the International Events Committee, Marketing Committee, and Board Operations Committee, and also serve as a WBF delegate, ACBL 401K trustee, and on the ACBL Laws Committee.
I have sold my business and retired and have more time than ever to devote to Bridge.
Looking forward to seeing all of you at the tables!