Reno: Dan Morse's Report
of the Spring Nationals - March 2004
Spring Blowout - 13,956 tables in play - the biggest Spring tournament on record - beating their own record of six years ago.
The Hilton is a great facility for a national tournament. Plenty of space, lighting good, accoustics good.
Hospitality from the local district and unit was great. Nature helped by giving us wonderful weather.
- MEMBERSHIP - GOOD NEWS
- For the first time in years ACBL membership is up about 1,646 from April 2003 to April 2004 which includes the 750
new members from January to April 2004.
Let's keep up the good work by the units, clubs and the district by working to increase new members, retain members,
and making an effort to get some of the members who have dropped out from playing to return to the game.
Tournament bridge attendance is up with table count increasing at STaCS, sectionals, and regionals.
Thanks for your good work!
- UNIT #174 -HOUSTON AWARDED NABC IN MARCH OF 2009
- The tournament will be held at the Hilton America in downtown Houston.
The Hilton opened in December of 2003 and it is beautiful and spacial with all the games
being played in the hotel. Other good news is that there is plenty of parking space and
the daily fees have been lowered to very reasonable parking fees. There are several very
good restaurants in and around the hotel.
- CHARITY FOUNDATION
- Good news for our Districts!
Instead for giving $100,000 to one national charity each year, beginning in 2005 the Charity Foundation will distribute
$20,000 to a different 5 districts each year and allow them to select the charities of their choice. 2006 will be the
year for District 16, so if any one knows of a charity that has a tie in with bridge please attend a district meeting
at one of our regionals in 2005 or contact the District President. A good example is the Shriners Organization in Houston.
The Shriners allow Unit #174 to rent their facility for some of the sectionals. We hope that this new method will bring
the ACBL more publicity for bridge.
- CO-OPERATIVE ADVERTISING PROGRAM
- The ACBL will reimburse 75% of advertising costs up to $1000 ($750 reimbursed). This is for all kinds of bridge activities
(bridge lessons, newcomer programs, ACBL recruitment); check with ACBL for more information.
- NAOP - BETTER THAN EVER
- Rules have been changed allowing clubs to hold twice as many qualifying games with sanction fees cut to $1.00 per
session per player.
- WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP 2004
- The 2004 World Championship is in Istanbul, Turkey, and the United States Bridge Federation (USBF) voted not to send a
US Team. However, on March 22, 2004, the US State Department lifted the travel advisory against travel to Turkey.
Consequently the USBF intends to revisit the issue at its May meeting.
Separately the ACBL extended its WBF representatives authorization and support to attend the WBF meeting as long as
appropriate waivers holding the ACBL harmless were signed.
- JUNIOR BRIDGE
- The summer 2004 NABC is going to be full of exciting Junior events. Sunday July 11 - Stratified Junior Scholarship Game
(1st prize $500 scholarship). Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, July 14-16 - World Junior Individual Championship sponsored
by the WBF. Saturday and Sunday, July 17-18 - USA Junior Team Trials. July 17-24 - World Junior Bridge Camp.
- JUNIOR SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITIES
- High school and college students who are ACBL members and teach bridge to other Juniors are eligible to receive a
$500 scholarship to the school of their choice plus a $350 teaching fee. For more information, contact
Charlotte Blaiss at email@example.com.
- MINUTES FROM THE RENO NABC
- The complete Reno Minutes are available on line at acbl.org under Governance - Board Minutes.
- NATIONAL TOURNAMENTS
- For anyone who has never attended a National, the next one is in New York this summer and then the Fall Nationals will
be in Orlando. These tournaments are a lot of fun and there is a lot of opportunity to collect Gold Points.
Check your Bulletin for information about these two tournaments.
- Don't forget - the 2006 Spring Nationals will be held in Dallas. It's not too early to start planning to attend.
Hope to see you at the tables.