AMERICAN CONTRACT BRIDGE LEAGUE
TEXAS STAR AWARDS
Description of the Award & Guidelines for Selection and Presentation Ceremony
- The Texas Star Service Awards ("the Awards") shall be presented
once annually at the Lone Star Regional Tournement held in Houston in the
- The Awards will be presented by the Chair of the Awards Committee. If for any
reason that officer is unable to make the presentations, the Texas Star
Service Awards Committee ("the Committee") shall select a person
to make the presentation.
- The Awards shall be presented just prior to commencement of play of the
second session of the game held on Saturday. If play is held in more than one
location, a presentation ceremony shall be held in each location. Presentation
of the Awards shall be shown on the printed schedule of the tournament.
Sufficient time for the presentation(s) shall be allowed by the Director
in charge of that tournament.
- Identity of the recipients of the Award shall be kept secret until their
names are announced by the presenter during the selection ceremony. All persons
involved in the selection process at both the Unit and Committee levels shall
take every precaution to insure confidentiality from commencement of the
selection process until after presentation of the Awards. The method, screening
and selection process shall not be discussed by any person involved except
- Each Unit within District 16 may, but need not, select one person to
receive the Award annually. A married couple may be selected. Each person
selected shall be a member of the selecting Unit in good standing, resident
within District 16. A person who has received the Award in a prior year
is not eligible for selection.
- A recipient of the Award shall be a volunteer who has worked diligently
at the Unit level. Receipt of a nominal compensation for burdensome tasks
shall not automatically classify a person as a nonvolunteer. A unit may ask
the Committee to determine the classification of a potential recipient of the
Award. The Committee's determination of classification of a potential
recipient shall be final.
- The Committee and its Chair shall be appointed by the President of District 16
at the annual meeting held during the Lone Star Regional Tournament in Houston
at the beginning of each calendar year. The President may appoint the Jacoby
Award Committee and its chair to form the Texas Star Awards Committee ex officio.
The Committee shall receive the selections from the Units annually, and
arrange for a suitable commemorative pin for each recipient of the Award.
- The Chair of the Committee shall notify each Unit each September of the
opportunity to name a recipient of the Award. Such notification may be by
letter or by publishing in the Scorecard. The notice to the Units should
outine the qualifications which the Unit should keep in mind in making its
selection and should stress the need for confidentiality. Selections by the Unit
must be received by the Committee by December 1 of each year.
- The Committee shall maintain a record of all recipients of the Award.