OSWALD & JAMES JACOBY SERVICE AWARD
Description of the Award and Guidelines for Nominations, Selection Committee and Presentation Ceremony
- The Oswald & James Jacoby Service Awards ("the Awards") shall be presented once annually at the Dallas-Fort Worth Regional Tournement held in the fall.
- The Awards shall be presented by Judy Jacoby. If for any reason she is unable to make the presentation, the Jacoby Service Award Committee ("the Committee") shall select a person to make the presentation.
- The Award shall be presented just prior to commencement of play of the second session of the game held on Saturday, If play is held in more than one location, a presentation ceremony shall be held in each location. Presentation of the Awards shall be shown on the printed schedule of the tournament. Sufficient time for the presentation(s) shall be allowed by the Director in charge of that tournament.
- The identity of the recipient of the Award shall be kept secret until that person´s name is announced by the presenter during the presentation ceremony. Members of the Committee shall take every precaution to insure confidentiality from commencement of the selection process until after presentation of the Award.
- Each Unit within District 16 may, but need not, nominate a person whom it considers to be a suitable recipient of the Award. Only persons nominated by a Unit may be considered by the Committee. A Unit may nominate only one person, who need not be a member of that Unit, and who shall be a member in good standing of the ACBL, resident within District 16. A Unit may nominate a person more than one year. A person who has received the Award in a prior year is not eligible for nomination. No member of the Committee shall participate in the nomination process at the Unit level; one who inadvertently does so shall be disqualified to participate in the screening and selection process of the Committee
- The Committee and its Chair shall be appointed by the President of District 16 at the annual meeting held during the Lone Star Regional Tournament in Houston at the beginning of each calendar year. Each member of the Committee shall be a recipient of the Award for a prior year. The Committee shall meet at a time of its own choosing to review nominations currently received and nominations on file, and select one nominee as recipient of the Award. Normally the Committee shall choose to meet during the July Regional tournament. The Committee may screen nominees by a process which it deems appropriate in order to determine that each nominee is in fact qualified to receive the Award. The method, screening and selection process shall not be discussed by members of the Committee except amoung themselves. The Committee shall retain nominations on file for a reasonable time, normally not more than five years.
- A recipient of the Award shall be a volunteer who has worked diligently at the Unit level and who has risen to recognition at the District level after many years of outstanding service. Receipt of a nominal compensation for burdensome tasks shall not automatically classify a person as a nonvolunteer. The Committee shall determine the volunteer status of each nominee during its screening process.
- The Chair of the Committee shall notify each Unit each March of the opportunity to nominate a recipient of the Award for that year. Such notification may be by letter or by publishing in the Scorecard. The notice to the Units should outine the qualifications which the Unit should keep in mind in making its nomination and should stress the need for confidentiality. Nomination by the Unit must be received by the Committee by July 1 of each year.
- The Committee shall maintain a record of all recipients of the Award.